Saturday, May 19, 2007

The Duck Dilemma

It has been interesting hearing all of the different opinions on our "duck situation". Although, it sounds like fun, going through the birthing process and having a dozen ducklings running around our yard; we know the hard reality is that there is going to be a mess that we are going to have to deal with constantly. Forget using the pool this year!

With that being said, both my husband and I are animal lovers. We were never able to have children so I am assuming that all those maternal and paternal insticts were saved for animals. We have four dogs and two cats and they get tons of attention and everything they need. In addition to our own menagerie we volunteer and contribute financially to our local SPCA. We want to do the right things with the duck eggs, although who knows what the right thing to do is.

Interesting enough today, while volunteering by walking dogs at the SPCA I saw the Animal Control Officer. I told him about our duck dilemma and he suggested smashing the eggs. When I explained that I didn't think it was an option, he did enlighten me that I should expect the ducklings to stick around for about two months after they hatch. Hmm, I wasn't really thinking in terms of two months... more like two weeks. He did tell me something I did know and that was to expect Ethel to return next year. The good news is that my husband was aware that they would probably be around for two months.

In all fairness, the Animal Control Officer wasn't the first to mention smashing the eggs. Another acquaintenance mentioned that they got rid of the eggs and suggested I do the same. The conversation then turned to which of us (there were four in this conversation) would euthanize their otherwise healthy dog for a million dollars. The split was 50/50. The two that said they would take the money; have children. Myself and the other dog saver, have never had children. I'm not sure what it means, but I have thought about the conversation often.

I am not sure if letting Ethel have her ducklings in our yard is the right thing to do or not. In addition to our love for animals, we both have a thirst for knowledge and this has been a definite learning experience for us. My guess is we won't know if this is right decision until they have flown the next.





No comments: