Monday, May 28, 2007

Ducks of our lives...


The first ducks I remember made their home on the lake at the Air Force Base in Arkansas where we lived when I was about 7 or 8 years old. They were of course the beautfiul white ducks and I was enchanted watching them glide around the lake.


The next ducks in my life were a little less enchanting and could actually be a good plot for a new horror flick. These ducks lived on a pond that was part of farm where we lived for a few years. I am not sure if they were looking for food or just hated kids, but that always rushed me and chased me when I got off the school bus. Thank goodness we were the last bus stop and only the bus driver had to see me humiliated by running from ducks as fast as I could to get in the house. I never missed those ducks.


Then at 16 years old, my boyfriend at the time, gave me a baby duck for Easter. Now, I realize why it is not a good idea. Then I couldn't imagine why my Mom was horrified. She did let me keep it... for awhile. Mom, was at home much more than than I was, and the duck became attached to my mom. It followed her around the house just like a dog. We bought it a kiddie pool and it loved to swim, but it could never get out of the pool At some point after the duck was fully grown, a doctor in town let us take it to his pond. Hopefully, he had a good life, but now I realize how stupid the custom of Easter Chicks and Ducks is. FYI - It wasn't the boyfriend's idea to buy the duck.


So there has been a huge void in ducks in my life until now. I can't remember any at all. As coincidence has it, prior to Fred and Ethel entering our lives this year, I was doing a color change in my kitchen. As I was looking for red accessories to go over my cabinets I found a decorative red duck at Target. My husband thought I was crazy, but I purchased the red duck and it looked great. He even agreed. It looked so great that I went online and found 3 red ducklings to match and ordered them. My red kitchen has a mother duck and 3 ducklings watching over our house. Coincidence? Maybe.

No comments: