Sunday, May 20, 2007

Ducks in my pool...I wonder why.

I blame ducks in my pool on Walmart! Actually not just on Walmart but companies just like them that don't think twice about taking away the habitats of wildlife. I grew up in a town of approximately 19,000 in Arkansas. I still remember how excited everyone was when Walmart came to town. Several years later the store wasn't big enough or flashy enough, so they took vacant land and built another one.

Several years ago, I went back to visit the house where my mom, my sister and I lived after our Dad died. My mom lived in this house 22 years and loved it. It backed up to woods and fields abundant with deer, rabbits and all types of birds. My mom love watching them and fed them all.

The fields and the woods are gone. They have been replaced by Super Walmart. I was just glad my mom wasn't alive to see it. I do wonder where did all the deer, squirrels and rabbits go?

Roseville, California the town in which I live now has doubled in size since we moved here in 1993. The growth has been at the expense of wetlands and farm land. Ducks have to go somewhere and I guess for now, for Fred and Ethel it's in my pool.

Ethel is still on her nest this morning. We did go to the feed store yesterday and bought some cracked corn and some chick feed just in case. After researching the internet I get conflicting stories about whether to feed Ethel and her ducklings when they hatch. My gut is telling me not to feed. I do know for sure not to feed them bread, especially the ducklings.

No comments: